Tuesday 24 April 2012

Artist in (Lighthouse) Residence

This Spring I was accepted as one of the Artists in Residence at the Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites in Victoria this summer.


Along with one other artist at a time, I will be displaying my new children's book and accompanying multi-media work as well as conducting interactive classes, projects or activities from time to time during the two and a half weeks that I will be in attendance. Most of all it is a wonderful opportunity to spend time painting (and writing) in an inspiring and historic environment overlooking one of the many spectacular vistas of the west coast.


One of my childhood dreams was to live in a lighthouse - not that realistic growing up in Belgium and Germany and then living on the prairies - but this summer I get to do what I love, where I've always dreamed of being... doesn't get much better ~




Fisgard Lighthouse was the first lighthouse on Canada's west coast built in 1860 and still acts as a beacon  today over the Strait of Juan de Fuca granting safe passage. Fort Rodd Hill was a coast artillery fort built in the late 1990's to defend Victoria and Esquimalt Naval Base. Imagine the stories that will come from this time...

3 comments:

Krista/Ruca said...

Wow! Looks like you have a fabulous experience in store. Good luck!

tammy said...

this looks fabulous!! i'd love to be an artist in residence!!! way to go shena!

lynda Howells said...

wow..lucky youxxlynda