Thursday 26 January 2012

Keeping an Art Notebook

For the last several years I have kept Art Notebooks to record techniques, ideas for series, quotes, or projects I want to work on. The latest one measures approximately 8 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches and is a standard hard back bound black book whose cover has been enhanced with molding paste, acryclics, and gold paint.


I collect images that inspire me and often they provoke ideas for paintings or sculptures, as in the one below.


 I keep track of concepts that I want to develop and remind myself of colours that make my heart dance...


Notes on supplies that I would like to acquire, an idea for a fold out book. A quote that became a painting... and sold...


Or an outline concept and notes of a mural for a client's property...





It is my constant source of reference and inspiration and long after the work is done, a wonderful memory of what steps it took to reach the finished piece. And it reminds me that inspiration is everywhere, and if I have done it before, I can do it again...


2 comments:

tammy said...

yes, inspiration is everywhere!! nice book shena!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this beautiful book! I used to keep an art workbook like that but have gotten out of the habit. Just the jog I need to take it up again. I loved seeing your process and the final results!